Saturday 6 June 2020

Testing the new venturi tube (Mark 4)

After printing the new venturi tube with internal conical sections I have removed the support material and attempted to use it.  There are some design issues which need attention.  I made the pressure port pieces too small and have had to improvise with a couple of plastic M4 nuts glued on.  To be honest that seems to work quite well so I might do that again as its easier that printing connection pieces.

I have guessed at the new internal dimensions within the firmware code as I am unsure of how the formula applies to the conical sections and I cannot find any information as to how to proceed.  Rather than go through all the calculations again I have updated the firmware from my earlier post and performed a quick test.

For documentation purposes I have set the code with the internal dimensions:

A1 = 0.01455 m^3
A2 = 0.001145 m^3

Here are the results:

Raw Data from the ADC - Gain setting 1, positive = inhalation, negative = exhalation

Differential Pressure - much improved sensitivity

The results seem to be much better than the last attempt.  The graphs clearly show inhalation and exhalation and the sensitivity is much improved.  I suspect that with a calibrated pump the accuracy could be improved further. 

As I don't have a calibrated air pump my intention is to improvise with a balloon and a syringe body...

I have a 25 ml syringe body.  I wish I had a bigger volume one but they are very expensive for some reason.  I will fill a balloon with air from the syringe until I have a litre of air.  I will then release the balloon air through the tube and monitor the results on the volumetric flow graph.  If I get 1000 m/s I have a litre per second of air flow.  I would settle for something close.  Another method would be to obtain a calibrated air flow meter and use that to compare to what I have made...however I would still need a uniform volume of air to test and compare with.

The latest Venturi Tube design with face mask and tubing

If we compare the results from the previous venturi tube (Mark 3) we can see that some considerable improvement has been achieved:

  Venturi Mark 3
Venturi Mark 4
 Peak Raw Data Bits
850
 2900
 Peak Differential Pressure
103 Pa    
 342 Pa
 Peak Volumetric Flow
0.06 m^3/s
 0.03 m^3/s
 Peak Velocity of Flow
 7.1 m/s
 21 m/s

The tube's sensitivity has definitely improved.  We need to assess the volumetric flow measurement more closely hence the need for a calibrated air flow.  Once we have that I believe it will be possible to use this design of tube for accurate measurement of air flow.

Once that has been sorted I need to add the BME280 Temperature, pressure and humidity sensor which arrived recently. 

I have also just bought a 3.5 inch serial display...lets hope I can make it work well and it can be upscaled when necessary.


That's all for now - Langster!

No comments :

Post a Comment